Total Pageviews

Wednesday 3 July 2013

The three monks

When I first saw three monks I got nothing! Too many cooks spoil the food.. good animation.. just another MBA fad.. what? I saw the elaboration Dr Mandi gave in his blog. It was hard not to think what he said are not the take away from the story. His take on the video is here..
http://pomcourse2012.blogspot.in/2012_08_08_archive.html

I agree to him on most accounts. This video certainly emphasizes the role of processes in an organization. Coming after Pygmalion effect, this, seems a bit cynical, but the fact remains- a set of rules clearly need to be defined for an organization to start breathing.Going further, I think, only having the rules in place is not the sufficient condition, there has to be disincentives for those who break rules.In situations like this I think most set of people don't come up with clear rules not because they don't feel the need, but because they know enforcing them is clearly not possible.The organization solves this problem by hierarchy. I am no fan of hierarchy but my management style will certainly value performance and consequently discourage non performance.

Dr Mandy says, and I agree,  the video doesn't end here, it goes on to show how improved processes could increase productivity.He links monks doing different part of bringing-the-water chore to an assembly line. At some point Dr Mandi says create a system such that the non performers just come out in the open i.e. become visible. Assembly line is one such process. Coming up with such processes in other fields/industries will certainly improve productivity.

Whatever are the takeaways one thing is for sure- Management lies in the eye of the beholder. Only in this case, Dr Mandi is making sure that we see it too!

2 comments:

  1. Wah... !

    Ofcourse I liked your comments. Management is E N I G M A.. It is an addiction.. That is what successful managers always are knows as.

    They start believe it.. and they make others t believe it ! Job done... You are great Leader..
    I wish you pick up this... Good luck.. dr mandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank U Sir .. Ur comments are always very encouraging.

    ReplyDelete